Search This Blog

Sunday, October 9, 2022

Big Sky Big Dog - Walk #527 (cat and scuffles)

After studying a lot of post elsewhere about negative interactions between dogs I wanted to post this video and provide some explanation in hopes it will help folks understand these dogs better.

I walk 5 GPs every day. Sometimes unexpected things occur: in this case a cat. Cookie, the 3 yr old spayed mother (Cho is the father), is first to see it (the others must have seen it as well as they are able to go to where it went into the bushes). But Cookie alerts first. Note: "alert" here is "dog parlance" means Cookie is calling out a threat. You can see how the other dogs react.
They pull me toward the spot where the cat was. In this process Hope and Charity (sisters, spayed, 2 yrs) briefly scuffle. In this case Hope, dominant over Charity, gets bumped by Charity. Hope retaliates because, I believe, this breaks Hope's concentration on the "event."
These dogs, in situations like this, become intensely focused on whatever they perceive to be the "threat."
Cho comes over from the to left (outside) to flank the females and prepare to defend. A bit later Cho 3 yrs and Red 2 yrs (Red is the dominant dog, both are intact) get into a scuffle on the right. The second scuffle is caused, I think, by Red telling Cookie to listen to me - he briefly jumps on her and then onto Cho.
Red is dominant over all the dogs but he is very easy going usually. The only time he asserts his dominance is in a situation like this.
I want to emphasize that these "scuffles" are NOT fights.
Our GPs have a tendency where something unexpected occurs to have initial "scuffles." I have seen it on numerous occasions. I believe it's the result of the dominant dogs positioning themselves to defend and/or control the other dogs and/or be prepared to attack the threat/protect the others.
There are also scuffles when a dominant dog believes a dog they are dominant over is not listening to me (Red in this case). The dominant dogs expect all their subordinates to listen and obey (myself and my wife are the alphas). I see this time and time again. Even the King Cavalier participates in what we call the "beat down" when they perceive someone to be disobedient. Usually just a snarl but it can be more depending on the level of the perceived infraction.
The Cavalier is 7 yrs, spayed. But she will go after all the dogs but Red to impose order if she thinks it's necessary. I would say she does not dominate the other dogs but they have a "respect" for her because she was here before them (helped to raise the puppies).
GPs, when presented with a novel situation like this, go into a "closed ears" mode - I see it all the time. The quickly think up what they intend to do and then do it - they don't listen well until they come out of it or its over.
When Red jumps on Cho the entire scuffle lasts about 25 seconds. During this time I holler at Red and work to get his attention. I fail for the most part but as soon as the scuffle ends Red and Cho go on as if nothing has happened. In this case I think the scuffle ends because Red decides Cho isn't causing any problems.
This is how these dogs are. It is in their nature to defend and control subordinates - after all they are bred for it.
In these specific situations the only "danger" I face is getting wrapped up in leashes.
So what's my point?
1. Dogs operate in a hierarchy so you, the owner, MUST be the dominant alpha. If you are not a dominant dog will become the alpha and control you. A lot of what I see posted here falls into this category. Since I am dominant these dogs in this video are listening (to the extent they listen in a situation like like) to me and they expect me to control things (which I do).
2. These dogs are smart and are fully capable of planning a defense against a threat. They are also curious and clever. In this case they are behaving as expected - there is no need for me to be upset. Nor is Charity or Cho upset by the scuffle outcome. They know what they are doing, where they fit into the hierarchy and why. Hope and Cho go on as if they are bosom buddies within a few seconds after the scuffle with their supposed "oppressors" because this is just normal behavior for them.
Ask yourself why? If it was a fight this would not be the case. This is an example of dogs working out their issues correctly and expediently on their own.
Punishing them, in this case, is wrong. So is, in my opinion, fixing them. Fixing won't change these behaviors and, as you can see here, fixed dogs engage in the same behaviors.
3. These dogs have a "triggered" mode when something unexpected occurs - like a "battle" mode. Their minds close to outside stimulation until they think the threat is addressed. I think this is part of the breeding and what makes them capable of tending a flock on their own.
Bottom Line:
Control comes from your dominance only. Otherwise you are the livestock to be managed.
Hierarchy requires a control, e.g., scuffles, to maintain.
You have to work with their intelligence, not against it.

No comments:

Post a Comment