Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Death Knell for the USPS

The WSJ reports (see this) the USPS is considering using "local businesses" to replace closing local post offices.

Once this starts I do not see how it will (or can) end - particularly with the budget crises (yes, I know, the USPS is not part of the "government"...)

Its a sad day as I once owned a mailing company.  My partner worked in a mailing company that still had Addressograph metal name plates when I met him (I guess I am a real antique).

Once this snowball is rolling I see the USPS eventually breaking even (financially) as something which most people will never hand contact with - instead it will be the local office store, UPS store, Kinko's etc. that you will use for all but the most serious commercial mailing services. Kind of a "router" for mail collected from various other businesses.

The end of an era begins...

A very sad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment