Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Medical Confusion

First off, in December of last year I wrote "Type 2 is Not Diabetes."

I talked about how various dietary elements like processed plant oils can inhibit and otherwise wreak havoc on your ability to process glucose.  Today I came across an article here talking about giving an Alzheimer brain a glucose "fuel" (actually a "medical food") which contains elements of a good oil (coconut oil in this case).

Among other things the article also indicates that there is medical research linking glucose uptake with Alzheimer's.

In "ADHD & A Spoon Full Of Sugar" I wrote about how I was testing cod liver oil on myself.  I work hard not to ingest the bad oils (soybean, cottonseed, corn, etc.) these days - though they are unavoidable in foods you eat out or do not prepare yourself.

For the last nine months I have been taking a tablespoon of cod liver oil once a day.  I feel a significant and noticeable improvement in mental function.  One of the primary benefits is that I am much less forgetful - particularly about things like keys, cell phones, putting things away, that sort of thing - and I have taken over the roll in the house of "finding it" as in "Honey - I can't find my ____" - now I remember where I saw things that are not even my own.

(Cod liver oil naysayers typically complain that it has "too much" vitamin A and D - just make sure you check the label and have a grasp on your over all intake...)

My ability to focus has dramatically improved as well.  For me focus involves staying on task and not having to "break" to gather my thoughts.  A year ago I could not focus for more than an hour or two without need of a break.  Today I can easily focus for six or even eight hours at a stretch.

To anyone over age 40 I would recommend looking into taking cod liver oil (and its not nearly as unpleasant as its cracked up to be).

I believe that Alzheimer's (as well as other elderly mental ailments) are probably a nutritional problem stemming from a long term lack of proper oils in your diet.  Clearly a "low cholesterol" causes mental issues (see "Lower Cholesterol = Memory Loss") - I think in part because the brain not provided necessary nutrients.  Given such a significant impact on the brain of diet I wonder what a lifetime of improper diet might do.  With these latest thoughts and articles on Alzheimer's and glucose I have come to believe this even more strongly.

Second today is the latest saga of medical incompetence as it relates to my poor mother.  Mom, who is in her 80's) was in a fender-bender and the airbags went off giving her a fractured sternum.  Apparently this is a common injury with air bags and, though it hurts, its not really dangerous and heals on its own.  Nor does it require any special behavior or restrictions.

So in the emergency room the doctor told her she could take up to two Advil three times a day - six Advil every 16 hours (they missed the cracked sternum the first time).   At a second visit (a few days later after having excruciating pain) they also gave her a prescription for five days of 3x a day 5/325 Vicodin.

Mom, aware of the bad reputation of these types of pain killers, was concerned so she began to ask around (other doctors, pharmacists, various other health professionals) about what to take and in what dosages.

The range of answers (compiled over a couple of days) were completely astounding:

1) One 5/325 Vicodin 3x

2) Two 325 Advil 3x a day.

3) One 325 Advil every 4 hours.

4) Don't take Advil at all, take Tylenol one every 4 hours.

5) Taking even 3 Advil a day for two weeks will ruin your stomach.

6) Two 325 Tylenol every 8 hours.

7) One 325 Tylenol every 4 hours.

8) Take as little as you can of X (where X was all of the above).

However, none of these professionals were concerned about the problems with Tylenol (see this as an example) or Advil (save one doc though admittedly we are only talking about taking this for a few weeks total).

No wonder they call it "practicing medicine".

Imagine giving this range of answers to a cop who has just pulled you over ("were you drinking, sir?" - and then giving a set of answers with this level of consistency - off to DUI school you would go...)

The problem here as well as with Alzheimer's is that modern medicine has a huge vested interest in the status quo for a number of reasons: legal, income, laziness, and so on.  No one wants to "rock the boat" by running out and screaming the "emperor has no clothes" - so they confuse my poor elderly mother with this sort of drivel.

Medicine, a supposed "science" where each of the tens of thousands of practitioners all give their own, unique and conflicting answers.

Its little wonder people have such littler regard for medicine.

Arthur C. Clarke once wrote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Paraphrasing, the more I see and read about this kind of stuff the more I believe "Any sufficiently (stupid, asinine, idiotic, moronic, foolish, lazy, ...) act is indistinguishable from pure evil."

1 comment: