Search This Blog

Sunday, November 11, 2018

LG Chem: 18650 Death Knell

About a year ago I wrote Vaping On a Plane Redux about the danger of lithium ion batteries, i.e., 18650's et al.  I've also written about sources of 18650 batteries (Sony 30A - Wherefore Art Thou...).

Yet for the many years I have been writing about vaping not once was I able to actually relate an actual "18650" to any particular company.  Yes, I believe that large companies make them, and that there are only a very few large companies that make them, but never have I seen any actual facts, i.e., Chinese battery companies say them make 18650's but everyone really knows this is not true.

So the FDA has been busily working in the background (I think) to stir up battery safety issues for vaping (as I predicted).

Low and behold this arrived yesterday:


What this says is A) me, as a "seller supplier" of LG Chem need to be aware of the "safety issues," B) the "four industry trade associations" and "leading manufacturers" of "18650 cells" recently launched a safety campaign at be-cigarettesafe.org.

(Lawyer's ears perking up to the sound of ambulances...)

And whose fingerprints are on this, why the FDA's of course.

While I personally believe this is the right approach I think the problem is not here in the US.

If you look at the letterhead we see that LG Chem is located in Soeul, Korea. 

Seems like the FDA's reach is quite far...

Somehow these batteries, without real LG labels (though occasionally batteries are actually marked as such), turn up in vaping sporting a variety of Chinese battery logos, e.g., eFest and others.

So I am told, in the letter, to "immediately" cease celling 18650's and tell my customers to stop using them.

Hmmm...

I also have a charger for 18650's and a bunch of 18650 flashlights.

Based on the rest of the paperwork these warnings are for vaping and not flashlight usage.

However, one has to wonder what exactly is different between the two types of usage? (None)

Clearly carrying an 18650 for a flashlight in my pocket with coins and keys is just as dangerous as carrying it for vaping.

Yet the letter does not indicate an issue with other 18650 usages.

How remarkable is that?

So, Mr. LG Chem, what if I use an 18650 for my flashlight and only after I take it out of my pocket and decide to put it in my vape?  Is that okay?

Perhaps these letters should go to the Chinese 18650 re-packagers?

After all, my flashlights are perfectly safe and, at least as indicated by these letters, not a problem.

(I warned you, CASAA, that this would start...)

Where will it go?

Soon loose 18650's will be "too dangerous" to take on a plane...

Why, because some Korean company says so (because the FDA told them too).

Interestingly, in Pennsylvania at least, vape shops sell 18650's for non-vaping uses because of taxes.

So perhaps taxing 18650's makes them safe?

Good thing people are dumb and buy this nonsense.  As well as buy the nonsense that lithium ion batteries are generally safe (which they are not).

(Make sure you always carry a flashlight for you 18650s...)

On the other hand, gasoline is dangerous too.  So is a car or truck or plane.

Me thinks the FDA's fingerprints are here for a purpose.   Specifically these notices will come next from the FDA to vape shops saying, of course, that since we killed off JUUL for you you vape shops can't use 18650's any more because the manufacturer says they are a miss use of their highly dangerous product.

So first good bye JUUL, next good bye 18650.

No one should be surprised.

No one will care for the most part.

Most vapers are too busy hating Trump or believing in fantastical self-deceptive nonsense to notice their health rights being stripped away.

But fear not - soon enough you'll only be enjoying JUUL faux tobacco flavors exclusively at a 7/11 near you.

CASAA: you were explicitly warned about this back in April of 2016.  But no, in the interest of the industry I am just a trouble maker.  What do I know...?

Nothing except to predict what is now happening.

All I can say is the bridge of the Titanic offers an excellent view...

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment