Search This Blog

Friday, June 10, 2011

More XCode 4 Woes...

So I need to make a copy of a current iOS XCode 4 project - basically I just need to copy an entire development folder to another, new one, rename the project and output .APP, just so I can do an integration with some modules off the main development trunk.

Seems simple enough right?

So I foolishly copy the XCode4 project folder to another one.  Diddle about renaming some things in the finder (like the project file).  Then I go to build it.

Kaboom!

It won't build because its trying to build an Intel-64 bit version for Mac OS X.

I did not change anything in the development environment - nothing.

No luck.

So I'm off Googling and what do I find?  XCode 4 basically doesn't do much of anything besides create a new project and develop in it - apparently no one else has had any luck trying to make a copy of the project folder either.

This makes no good sense but I bet I know why it fails.  The new XCode 4 stuff fiddles about in places besides your build folder - in fact the default is to put all the build stuff out in the ~/Library/Developer/XCode somewhere - with links via some voodooesque mystery buttons and links.  So my guess is that when you copy the folder somewhere else it breaks these links.

(There are all these file name that start out with your project name and are followed by jibberish: sq_lvm-gnqocbrogklyhegskqgmgqqodfkn - for example (I'm not kidding) - I feel like its 1985 and I'm playing Zork.  So no doubt there is bad juju involved with changing the name of the sq_lvm project I have if there's a couple of hundred K of monkey business (indexes for something) in this folder.)

Of course you would image that a cleaning would re-do it - but no...

So back to 3.2.5 and all its flaky problems.  Thankfully the 3 and 4 work off the same project file so no problems there.

But come on Apple - you're in such a hurry for each new version that you're screwing the development base.

So now I'm on 3.2.5 which has debugger flakiness - like all the break disabling on EXE launch.

While I type 3.2.6 is busy installing in the background - asking me to turn off iTunes so it can install.

God knows why it cares but....

I can only hope 3.2.6 will work better.

The sad part is that as far as actual coding goes XCode 4 is absolutely great.  The compiler sort of runs while you are typing and checks things (a bit to vigorously while I'm still typing on a given line but I guess that will improve - it should wait longer before complaining).  GCC LLVM 4.2 is very fast and everything works quite well.  The the XCode 4 development platform part that really bites.

I also don't like the confusing "Schemes" and other things like it it uses.

Well, 3.2.6 just tink-tinked me telling me the install finished.

Sadly I don't see the 3.2.6 debugger working right either so I guess I am just f*cked.

(Oh Geez! - I fixed my debug problems!  The ding dongs at Apple swapped [CMD] R and however you run your non-debug and debug executable files from the development environment.  XCode 4 runs debug the way 3 runs non-debug and vice versa as far as keyboard commands are concerned.   So my fingers and lower spine are typing the run command in 3 that runs non-debug because in 4, which I've been using for months, it runs the debug version...)

Thanks Apple...

No comments:

Post a Comment