Search This Blog

Monday, May 2, 2011

The Deathly Hallows

The stink bugs are again on the rise as summer approaches.  As I wrote here in "Stink Bug Remedy" we have a lot of them - more than our poor spider plants can help us capture.

So, after some experimenting I created a "Deathly Hallows" for stink bugs (see image).

This took some planning to execute but so far it seems to work quite well.

We've noticed that they congregate when its warm around the kitchen lights.  So I reasoned that if I could come up with some sort of trap that I could put by the light I would be able to get rid of some.

I tracked down a supply of the round flypaper tubes at www.domyownpestcontrol.com.  They were fairly cheap so I bought quite a few.

I attached them under the light fixture so that each hung down right below the light.  (I only tried one the first night.  Please note that our kitchen ceiling is high enough so that I can walk under these things without getting them in my hair - and I am six feet tall.)

Viola. 

The next morning I had about two dozen stink bugs.  Its rumored that if you kill them they stink and draw their friends - good - the more the merrier.

I rigged a few more around the rest of the kitchen lights and around some other lights as well.  Fortunately it got colder since I set this up and the remaining inside bugs have withdrawn for now.

We also had stink bugs on a southern facing window.  However there was a large hornets nest on that side of the house which the exterminator took care.  The spillover of whatever chemicals that he uses seemed to wipe out the window-based population of stink bugs along with the hornets.

No comments:

Post a Comment