Search This Blog

Thursday, September 20, 2018

FDA FOIA Success...

I was rather surprised yesterday when I received the following document in response to my original FDA FOIA request (http://lwgat.blogspot.com/2018/01/fda-foia-request.html and the electronic request here: http://lwgat.blogspot.com/2018/02/foia-re-request-via-web.html) on the decision to treat e-cigs as "drugs":


Attached was a CD (gotta love "modern" technology) with three .PDF files.

I had paid my $25.00 US for the search a few months ago thinking the weird emails I got would yield nothing (none-the-less I didn't want to owe the government any money so I paid).

I put the PDFs here: https://github.com/OpenSourceVaping/FDA_FOIA_01 (you can click on the PDFs and view them there or choose the green "Clone or Download" button and then "Download ZIP." (I used github.com to keep this with the Open Source Vaping materials.)

A quick scan through reveals some interesting nuggets...

The trick here would seem to be to ask for very specific things in the correct way.  The FDA was quite polite and helpful via email at the initiation of this and you have to listen to them.  Though I didn't get everything I thought I had asked for I plan to file more detailed requests going forward.

So it would seem that the stories of the FDA "failing to comply" are merely aberrations. They can and do.

As I promised the FDA I am a "news" organization and here is the original material without partisan comment.

I am also surprised that I have not seen anyone else succeed with this (though they may have and I don't know about it).

No comments:

Post a Comment